The Sarasota-Manatee Section of the National Council of Jewish Women is a volunteer organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for women, children and families. We are pleased to announce our Eighteenth Annual Scholarship Awards Program, which recognizes and promotes education of the “non-traditional student”. We consider students, male or female, who have returned to school after a hiatus and need financial assistance to reach their goals.
Scholarships are awarded annually, on a non-sectarian basis, for tuition and books. The applicants must meet the following CRITERIA and submit all items on the CHECKLIST
- Must be a minimum of twenty-four years of age.
- Must have a gap of at least six years following high school graduation.
- Must hold a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be a legal U.S. citizen and year-round resident of Sarasota or Manatee County.
- Must establish financial need by submitting a printout of the upcoming school year’s
Student Aid Report (SAR) reflecting the EFC number from FAFSA, and any other relevant documentation that may be requested.
- Must be registered at an accredited educational institution, one of which must be a two-year college, a four-year college, a vocational school, or an on-line program.
- SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL: Recipients must re-apply each year for consideration of renewal of scholarship funds.
CHECKLIST FOR COMPLETE APPLICATION
- I am a legal U.S. citizen and am age 24 or older, out of high school for 6+ years, hold a high school diploma or GED equivalent; and I am a year-round resident of Sarasota or Manatee County. (Include utility bill for proof of residency)
- I have been accepted into my program of choice at a qualified educational facility, and I am in need of financial assistance to pursue a higher level of education.
- I have enclosed an official transcript (current college students) and/or my college acceptance letter for my transfer, or my college/vocational school acceptance letter (beginning students).
- I have completed and enclosed a copy of my 2018-2019 FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR).
- I have completed and included my personal statement essay.
- I have two signed letters of recommendation enclosed or mailed separately from faculty members/ instructors/mentors in your field/employers,
on official letterhead. (Do Not use family members or friends for reference letters)
- I have completed and reviewed ALL sections of this scholarship application.
- I understand, if selected for a Scholarship, that I must be present at the awards ceremony on Sunday, April 29, 2018 in order to receive the scholarship and to thank the Donor.
- I have read, understand, initialed, and signed the certification below (Section IX)
- I have mailed, or hand delivered all documents by the deadline to NCJW before 5:00 PM on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. (Faxed applications are not accepted.) If mailed, they must be postmarked on or before February 28, 2018.
We have enclosed our application forms and all students who demonstrate a financial need and meet the criteria are encouraged to apply. Duplicate copies of the application may be made.
The application deadline is WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2018.
PLEASE mail your applications to: NCJW SCHOLARSHIP FUND COMMITTEE
The completed scholarship application and its attachments must be received postmarked NO LATER than February 28, 2018. LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. The application must be filled out, in its entirety, and submitted with accompanying materials at the same time, unless official documents are being forwarded directly by the school or individuals providing reference letters. If you are mailing your application, be careful to apply the CORRECT amount of postage. Failure to do so will result in your application and its attachments being returned to you.